Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Steampunk Bangle


Well, I did it. I made my first ever steampunk project. I gotta say, I kinda love it. This fun adornment is for the Stampendous co-hop with DIY Bangles. The bangle started off as an unfinished piece of wood. They sell for under $5 at the DIY Bangles store. You get to add your personal touch by finishing it any way you want.

I started mine off by brushing on some watered down acrylic paints in silver, copper and a little black. Then I adorned the flat oval-shaped areas with various steampunk-style oddities like gears and keyholes. The flower and bee are from the Thoughtful Wishes and Queen Bee Perfectly Clear Stamps, respectively.

The bee pictured in the third photo, uses a faux metal embossing technique with Sterling Silver embossing powder. Just poor some embossing powder on a piece of paper and heat emboss it from the back. When the powder is still hot, stamp the image in the molten powder. It creates a great debossed effect that looks like stamped metal. However, I have a couple tips. First, ink your stamp with VersaMark and have it ready because once the powder is melted, you have to work fast. Second tip - use a clothespin to hold your paper. I burned my hand a couple times. In fact, I think my middle left finger no longer has a print!

Anyways, I used some Fast Finish by Beacon Adhesives to seal it and then wrapped some wire in a few spots.

I hope you enjoy it. Please check out the other gorgeous projects.





14 comments :

wendyp said...

This is stunning!!! Great tip on the clothespin! I've lost count of how many times I've burnt my fingers heating the EP. And then there are the times I've stuck my finger into the molten EP to test if it was cool yet. oops! LOL!

Sue D said...

Your bracelet is awesome and thanks for the tips.

Jingle said...

This is very nice!

Barb Turpin said...

Annette, this turned out so well! I love all your cute embellishments!

StampendousGraphics said...

Love your terrific Bangle! What a marvelous job of creating some Steampunk fun! Thanks for playing!

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

I should give credit to Melinda Gleissner for the clothespin idea. She suggested it. Thanks, Melinda!

sharon g said...

That is very cool. I like your embellishments.

Kailash said...

Your bangle is fabulous, it looks like a piece of artwork!!!

Lillian Child said...

The finish on this bangle is stunning! And I can't believe you achieved this look using watered down acrylic paints???!!!! WOW! I've pinned your delightful project and will be trying my hand at this process soon! Thanks for sharing with us!

kathi17 said...

These are beautiful. I love the way you left the background wood showing under everything. It makes a nice contrast with your embellishments.

dawnmercedes said...

funky fun!!

joy said...

Very unique and very "steampunk", too! Thanks for the tips, Annette!

Kim H said...

wow this bangle looks so expensive, so well done. love the steampunk feel. thank you so much for sharing.

Melinda Gleissner said...

Annette, you have outdone yourself. This is marvelous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...